XENA ONLINE COMMUNITY
1. Respect for fellow board members.
XOC members are expected to be respectful and considerate toward other board members. Lively discussion and debate can and should be conducted, and strong opinions expressed, with respect for other posters and their viewpoints and opinions. To ensure a friendly and pleasant environment, XOC prohibits:
* flaming (personal attacks on or insults toward other posters);
* derogatory remarks about other members' posts (e.g. referring to posters' comments, arguments and opinions as stupid, lame, bizarre, dishonest, etc.);
* mocking other posters or their opinions, including by means of eye-rolling or laughing emoticons;
* criticizing another board member's posting style or choice of topics, particularly in a confrontational manner. If someone's posting style makes it difficult for you to read their posts (e.g. if they don't break up their posts into paragraphs but post one long piece of text), you may make a polite suggestion that they change it. However, as long as a poster is not violating the rules of the board, telling her/him what they should and should not post is inappropriate, especially if such criticism can also be seen as a personal attack (e.g. an accusation of attention-seeking);
* using the board to publicly discuss or complain about one's personal problems or conflicts with another member, even if that member is not explicitly named but her or his identity is likely to be known to other members;
* attacks on groups of fans (shippers, subtexters, non-subtexters etc.);
* "baiting" posts intended to provoke a hostile response or start a flame war (for instance, gratuitous insulting or sarcastic remarks about another poster's favorite character or relationship);
* bigoted comments (expressing hostility, contempt, or other negativity toward individuals or groups on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender or gender identity, sexual orientation, or religion). Please keep in mind that comments generalizing about a group of people could be offensive to some even if you don't see them as negative. Generally, when you make any kind of statement about a group, stop to think about how you would feel if a statement was directed at your group;
* baseless accusations of bigotry (for instance, suggesting that all fans who do not support the Xena/Gabrielle pairing are homophobic).
2. Respect for public figures associated with the show or the fandom.
While XOC encourages spirited discussion of X:WP or other RenPic shows, or other works associated with the show such as fanfiction or articles, board members are asked to treat real individuals (producers, actors, directors, writers) with respect. It is fine to criticize the works or the ideas, but not to bash the individuals. Rumors and speculation about the private lives of people associated with the show (romantic relationships, marital problems, health problems etc.) are also unacceptable. So is the portrayal, in fanfic or artwork posted on the board, of fictional romantic relationships between real individuals (e.g. Lucy Lawless and Renee O'Connor, or Lucy Lawless and Kevin Smith), or "shipping" actors as opposed to characters (e.g., expressing the hope that Lucy and Renee will get together as a couple one day, speculating or fantasizing about a real-life sexual/romantic attraction between Lucy and Renee, Lucy and Kevin Smith, etc.).
3. Posting rules and guidelines.
* Do not act in a confrontational or hostile manner toward other posters (see Rule #1).
* Do not post the same thing over and over in a thread, or disrupt a thread with posts that have no relevance to the discussion. Do not start threads inviting posts without content (e.g., "bump" posts or numerical countdown posts).
* Threads can and do go off-topic, but if a thread begins to stray too far from the original subject, a moderator may ask that the discussion return to the topic. If the off-topic discussion continues the thread may be locked. In addition, if a poster is "pushing" a subject that strays from the subject of the thread and disrupts the thread, s/he may be asked to drop the subject. Continued flagrant violation will result in a reprimand or warning.
* Do not bump threads or polls with the intention of pushing a thread you dislike off the front page.
* Do not post in all caps (in the body of the post or in the thread title). Also, do not use large fonts in order to emphasize your point or draw attention to your post. It's the equivalent of "screaming" in cyberspace and is considered poor netiquette.
* Do not use "textspeak" or "chatspeak" (abbreviated letter/number spellings of words, such as "b4" for "before," "2 b" for "to be," "n e 1" for "anyone," "u" and "ur" for "you" and "your," "gr8" for "great," "nite" for "night," "n" for "and," etc.). Many people who do not use "textspeak" may find it hard to decipher such postings; those for whom English is a second language may find them particularly confusing. "Textspeak" may also cause your comments to be taken less seriously by other posters. Generally we expect people on the XOC to communicate in standard English. This does NOT mean that we will be going after people for typos, or for incorrect grammar/word usage (particularly if they are not native English speakers). However, deliberate misspellings are discourteous to other posters. NOTE: This does not apply to common acronym abbreviations such as "LOL" for "laughing out loud," IMO or IMHO for "In my (honest) opinion," and "BTW" for "by the way," which are fine.
* Do not bring issues from other currently active forums, whether Xena-related or not, to XOC (e.g., complain about the way you were treated on another forum, criticize or ridicule posts or posters on other boards, describe your arguments/fights with people on other boards). Referring to posts on other forums is fine, as long as this is not done in a negative or derogatory manner.
* When posting news items, interviews, and other content from websites or blogs, avoid posting the entire piece (unless it is very short). Instead, post a few sentences or short paragraphs that summarize the news or spark interest in the material, and then add a link to the original source.
4. Responding to flames, attacks, and other violations.
If you feel that another poster has attacked you, do not attack or flame them in response, or post a rude or sarcastic reply; otherwise, you and the instigator will both be admonished. You can defend yourself and state that you consider the post inappropriate and insulting, but please do so in a civil and non-disruptive manner. The same goes for responding to offensive posts that are not directed personally at you.
5. Moderation at XOC.
XOC is a moderated board. The moderator handles are listed at the top of each forum. Inappropriate posts will result in an admonishment from a moderator, or in case of serious rule violation in an official reprimand or a warning (see warnings, reprimands and bans).
When a moderator posts in an "official" capacity, the posts will be signed, in bold, with the mod's handle and the line, "XOC moderator" (or "XOC moderator/administrator").
If you see a post that you believe warrants a moderator's attention, you can (1) privately notify a moderator by private message or email, or (2) make a post in the thread stating that you find the post offensive and asking a moderator to intervene.
If you disagree with a moderator's actions toward you or another member, you are encouraged to address this in a private complaint (by email or private message through Yuku), which the mods will consider collectively. While you may state your objection or question in the thread in a respectful manner, please do not try to engage the mod(s) in a public argument about an admonishment, reprimand, warning, or other mod intervention. You will receive an official warning if you:
* push such an argument after being asked to drop it;
* respond to a moderator in a sarcastic, hostile, rude, or confrontational manner;
* publicly attack or slam the moderators.
After a moderator has intervened to admonish a poster or posters, or to ask them to stop inappropriate behavior (such as getting too personal in an argument), do not step in to further criticize the poster(s) or express outrage at their comments. Once the mods have spoken, please let the issue rest.
A troll is someone whose intention is to disrupt discussion by making deliberately provocative, annoying and harassing posts. Trolls will be immediately banned from XOC (not just handles but IPs).
Please do not publicly discuss troll activities on the board (since such discussions are likely to incite further troll attacks). Do not respond to troll posts, or engage in any conversation or verbal sparring with trolls, either on or off-board. Any board member who engages in off-board communication with a known troll will be warned privately if this comes to the admins' attention, and may be banned if he/she does not cease the correspondence.
Do not spam this forum with commercial offers or other forms of advertising. We notify Yuku Legal Staff of all spammers immediately. Where applicable, we will also ban the IPs of spammer handles, sometimes using a wild card IP ban which will ban a range of IPs.
Spamming also includes posts made in attempt to gain points and/or prizes from viral (grassroots) marketing campaigns. Most of these campaigns are initiated by the production company, record label, book publish, studio or network to boost awareness or market one or all of the following: book, CD, movie, video game, TV show or other commerical product. Posts of this kind are strictly prohibited on the XOC. Your post will be moved and you'll be issued a reminder.
8. Pairing-specific forums.
Shipper Talk and Subtext Zone are designated respectively for fans of the Xena/Ares and Xena/Gabrielle pairings. People who do not support these pairings are welcome to post in these forums and express their opinions. However, neither forum is the appropriate place for debating its core concept, i.e. the romantic/sexual attraction between Xena and Ares in Shipper Talk and between Xena and Gabrielle in Subtext Zone. A post in a pairing-specific forum the only or primary content of which is to say that you do not support the forum pairing, or do not see the relationship as romantic or sexual, is inappropriate.
In threads discussing specific episodes or scenes, various opinions are welcome. However, if a thread in either forum turns into a subber vs. shipper debate, a moderator may ask the posters to stop the debate or take it to the general forum. Posters are asked to respect such a request.
In the pairing-specific forums, derogatory comments about those who do not support the forum pairing or support a different pairing (or about their viewpoints) are not allowed. That is, comments attacking or mocking subtexters or their beliefs, or fans who don't like the Xena/Ares pairing, are not allowed in Shipper Talk. Likewise, comments attacking or mocking non-subtexters or shippers, or their beliefs, are not allowed in Subtext Zone.
All Ships Ahoy is a forum where any pairing, "canon" or not, can be discussed in a positive environment. Do not post in a Ships Ahoy thread about a relationship or pairing solely to say that you don't see it or don't like it. Forum rules prohibit threads about incestuous or adult/child sexual relationships.
9. Multiple handles.
Multiple handles are not allowed. If you wish to change your handle, please contact one of the administrators (xwpweb or LadyKate63) via email or Yuku private message. Your old handle will be deleted and your new one approved.
If you change your handle, you should be prepared to publicly disclose the handle change and identify yourself as an old member posting under a new handle (or to have this information disclosed by the moderators). In other words, you are not allowed to "change your identity" without the knowledge of other posters.
If you gain admission under a second handle for the purpose of disrupting the forum, harassing other members, or other mischief, this will be considered trolling. Not only will the duplicate handle be banned immediately, but you will get a warning as a minimum under your "regular" handle, and may be banned immediately depending on the severity of the trolling behavior.
10. Language and adult content.
XOC is a board for Xena and Hercules fans of all ages. Profanity is not allowed here. We have a profanity filter that screens out certain words (if you try to post them, you'll find out what they are). Members are also asked to refrain from using asterisks, dashes, or other punctuation marks to circumvent the filter and spell out the entire word (e.g., s-h-i-t), or from using some words in a crude and offensive context even if one or more letters are replaced with an asterisk (e.g., using the "f-word" with asterisks in the literal sense of a sexual act).
Also prohibited is sexually explicit material, whether verbal (graphic descriptions of sexual acts) or visual (sexually explicit or nude pictures). If you post a link to a site that features content which may be inappropriate for minors (sexually explicit fiction or art), please include a warning to that effect. Posting links to X-rated images is not allowed.
11. Illegal activities.
Do not share sources or link to sites where pirated material is available for download (including, but not limited to, music, full episodes, software, etc.), or offer to sell pirated material.
12. Personal Signatures/Image Postings.
As with posts, profanity, pornography, bigoted remarks, and slams on other fans are not allowed in personal signatures.
Signature images sizes:
The maximum allowed height of your signature (text and images combined) is approximately 350 pixels. (A line of text in regular-size type equals about 10 px).
The maximum total width of your signature images (a single banner, or two or more images side by side) is 600 pixels.
* The maximum combined size of the image files in your signature and avatar should be 350 KB (e.g., a 100 KB avatar and a 250 KB sig, or a 150 KB avatar and a 200 KB sig).
Please do not link directly in your signature to pictures on sites with photo galleries such as Mike's Images, the Warrior's Hut, Michelle's Xena Gallery, and Xena Media Empire. Since the picture will be appearing in every post you make, it will be consuming a lot of bandwidth from the website. Instead, download the picture to your computer, then upload it to a hosting service such as Photobucket or VillagePhotos.
Images in posts:
* All pictures posted in threads should generally be no more than 500 pixels in width and height. Large pictures can push the margins wide apart and make the thread very difficult to read. The setting on the board should automatically resize larger pictures to 500 px.
* Do not overload your posts with graphics, which can seriously slow down the board especially for members who have dial-up. Generally, anything more than 10 images in a post is too much.
* Do not "hotlink" to images from websites that ask not to hotlink in order to avoid excessive bandwidth usage. Instead, download the image, then put it online in your own photo hosting account such as photobucket, and link to it that way.
* Do not link directly to images on commercial websites. A commercial website can be defined as being sponsored by a corporation or an organization. An example of a commerical website would be: WireImages, AfterEllen, Sci-Fi Channel, etc. Instead, link to the page the image is located on.
* * *
Have a great time at Xena Online Community!
xwpweb, XOC Founder/Administrator
LadyKate63, XOC Co-Owner/Administrator
Updated rule #11 on size specifications
07/08/03 - Updated for clarification in rule #3
6/19/03 - Updated for clarification in rule #3
10/26/03 - Updated for clarification in rule #9 on profanity
01/03/2004 - Spamming Rule Updated
03/26/04 - Updated for clarification in rule #7 (Shipper Talk and Subtext World rules)
07/20/05 - Updated to restore the rule changes lost as a result of the 5/31/05 hacker attack (rules #5 & 6)
08/12/05 - Updated and clarified Rule #2 regarding speculation about the private lives of people associated with the show.
03/23/06 - Updated and clarified the clause in Rule #5 (respecting the authority of moderators) regarding acting as a self-appointed moderator.
04/09/06 - Updated and clarified Rule #9 regarding multiple handles and new handles.
04/14/06 - Clarified Rule #1 about the definition of bigoted comments and about offensive remarks.
05/17/06 - Clarified Rule #8 about the rules in theme-specific forums.
05/17/06 - Clarified Rule #10 on profanity.
06/03/06 - Clarified Rule #8 on Shipper and Subtext forum rules.
06/05/06 - Edited rule #12 to add in a * on the sub-parts.
07/28/06 - Edited rule #12 to clarify sig pic size specifications.
08/18/06 - Edited link to the post on bans and warnings.
08/23/06 - Clarified and updated several rules particularly with regard to flaming and moderation.
10/17/06 - Clarified and expanded rule # 1 with regard to respect for other posters; changed the title of Rule #1 from "no bashing" to "respect for public figures."
10/12/07 and 10/23/07 - Clarified rules on signature sizes and banner width.
11/24/07 -- added clause about duplicate handles for trolling purposes
01/20/08 -- updated the rules on signature file sizes, fixed several links that went to old EZboard threads.
04/01/08 -- updated the "posting rules" section to add the no-textspeak rule
04/14/08 -- updated the "respect for public figures" rule to include the "no shipping actors" clause.
06/03/08 -- updated #11 (Illegal Activities) to expand definition of pirated material
09/27/08 -- updated the "posting rules" section to add a mention of threads with content-free "bump" posts; moved the "no linking to images on commercial websites" from "posting rules" to "posting images"; edited the wording in the rule about posting content from websites and blogs; clarified the "no bringing issues from other forums" rule.
02/07/09 -- updated the "respect for fellow board members" section to add the "no airing personal problems with other members" clause.